Steps to Becoming a Vegetarian!


Consider your reasons for becoming a vegetarian. Many people that I know have become vegetarians simply because of animal cruelty in slaughterhouses. For others it has been for religious beliefs or maybe you just want to live a healthier lifestyle.

Tell your parents and significant others as well as friends. When telling people about your choice they are going to question you, so make sure you do some research to back up your reasons for becoming a vegetarian. People won't only attack you in the beginning but always, I have been a vegetarian for 14 years and still get questioned about it. The more research you do the better prepared you will be. If you research is thorough you will always win the battle.

Make sure you eat enough food. I know it sounds weird but in the beginning this can be difficult. When I first became a vegetarian my food intake decreased a lot. I believe this had to do with the fact that I was only 10 years old and my Mom didn't know what to cook for me so I had whatever was made minus the meat.

Find good meat substitutes. This will help you replace the meat that you would normally consume and help you to eat more and prepare the same kind of meals you had before but just with the meat substitute. I have had plenty of friends try my "fake" meat and a lot say that its not that different from the real thing. (of course there are a few exceptions) I have listed a few of my favorite substitutes: Moriningstar, Boca, Quorn, and Tofurky

You can find "fake" meat at almost any grocery store, Wal Mart does have some but not a huge selection. Your best bet is going to be stores like Whole Foods and Central Market.

Get some vegetarian cookbooks and fins some vegetarian recipes that interest you.This is going to help you prepare meals without using the meat substitutes.

Eat vegetarian as much as possible without giving up meat entirely. Some people may be able to quit with no problem for others it may be a little bit harder. It may take a little bit of time to get used to the taste of the "fake" meat. Maybe just try going meat free for a couple of days a week and gradually work your way up from there.


These are my recommend steps, they don't have to be in any particular order but make sure you check all of these off your list. Always remember that you can never do to much research on being a vegetarian. Like I said earlier I have been a vegetarian for 14 years and I continue to do research on the topic and still find new benefits for not only my health but also benefits for the animals.

I will be writing several blogs about vegetarians so be sure to subscribe to my blog.

Adios!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Amanda_A_Heilman

No comments:

Post a Comment